Monday, April 08, 2013

Faces of Mental Illness in the Pews

I trembled when I read the attached article..... I know what severe depression feels like.  I have been challenged by it for as long as I can remember.  Sadly, I think the church, in general, doesn't fully understand that it is not simply a "spiritual problem".  It isn't.   It is chemistry, it is wiring, it is external weight pressing in on us and not having the ability to withstand it.  It's lack of emotional fortitude or tools.  And yes, sometimes, it is a spiritual problem.  But not exclusively.           

I've tried ignoring it, hoping it would simply disappear.  It doesn't.  I've tried getting more involved helping others, in hopes that it would distract me.  It doesn't.  I've prayed, I've fasted, I've studied, I've medicated.  I've indulged in too much romance, too much chocolate, too much Facebook, too much sleep, too much food.  I've made unwise &/or immoral choices in a knee-jerk attempt to tip the scales of my neurotransmitters.......hoping to invoke a pseudo-euphoria.... willing to take the risk because anything was better than the suffocating, paralyzing depression. 

And who would understand?  Spiritual accolades and platitudes roll off like a shot glass of water on a parched hill.   Like so many of Job's friends, solving nothing....insult to injury.... salt in the wounds...  "Work harder", "Pray harder", "Read more", "Get outside", "Take more vitamins & minerals".... And while these measures are often helpful, they are not the end all to beat all.  While spiritual measures are important, often our bodies are trying to make us aware that something is off..... nutrition, rest, chemistry, medical  needs, too much stress (even good "stress" can overload).... or maybe there's a social need that we are ignoring, causing us to cut ourselves off from others & setting our depressive mechanisms on high alert.....or conversely, overspending of ourselves on others' needs, triggering a complete withdrawal.

My point is that, while there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all, cookie-cutter depression ....each individual has their own unique wiring.... there ARE some commonalities, some tried and true methods..... medicines.... nutrients...... behavioral adjustments.....   Let's not chastise someone who lives a life challenged by depression....especially not those we call brothers & sisters in the Body of Christ.  That one sitting in the pew beside you, whose name you do not know, who does not stand up and sing joyfully when the music minister strikes his first note..... do not assume that they are spiritually calloused or detached.... Detached inside, perhaps, but not in the way that you suppose.  Aching, longing for an outstretched hand.... for a silent hug accompanied by smiling eyes of acceptance..... do not judge them..... LOVE THEM......pray for them..... inquire of them, in quiet tones, with sincerity and authenticity of heart, "How are you doing, dear?"

And most importantly, go before the Savior and lay them on his lap.  With His gentle hand and soothing tone, He will speak a language they understand.  Not the language of the church.... but the language of the Wounded.

- jmm




What Christians Need to Know About Mental Health

No comments: